Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Pipicha from Rodri-Mex


















Here's my new find, pipicha, which I bought from the Rodri-Mex farm stand at the Bartel Pritchard Square Farmer's Market. Rodri-Mex serves Windsor Terrace/South Slope on Wednesdays and Sunset Park on Saturdays.

I wont try to describe the taste, I will just say that this little plant is in itself a Six Flags of flavor. Hang on and try not to miss anything. Martin Rodriguez and his wife, whose name I shamefully couldn't parse because my brain is linguistically impoverished, told me it is used in salads. So is papalo, another tender herbaceous thing available there. Both herbs were available for $1 per bunch, a fact which causes me to weep with joy. Also on hand, the succulent parslaine, massive cilantro bunches, gorgeous radishes, eggplants, a wide selection of peppers and squash, melons, more, I wish I had taken better notes.

While we were there, Martin cut open a watermelon and offered it to shoppers, but my little daughter refused a wedge. I tried to explain that the only vegetable substance she eats is nori, because it is 2 dimensional. She shuns all 3 dimensional fruits and vegetables, they simply don't read as food to her. He gave me a worried look. People always give me a worried look when I talk that way.

At any rate, I weep with joy to have discovered such beautiful things available at prices I can afford in time to enjoy them for a few weeks before I have to resign myself to the usual suspects. I hear Sept. 20, or there abouts, is the end of the season.

Three of the best things I've discovered this summer begin with the letter P. Pupusas, papalo, and pipicha.

No comments: