Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Ansoniana








































I used to daydream about living in the Ansonia because of the courtyard, I wanted to be able to open the door and let the kids free into a protected yard overrun with neighbor children. That was a sweet dream. So many Park Slope families I know live there, some relatives live underneath the condo of the girlfriend of a prominent NY radioshow host, and we heard some interesting stories. But don't people always have stories about their neighbors? I bet there's a trove of Ansonia stories I will never hear.

It's changed much since the days when it was a clock factory known for novelty pieces. I wish they had a bit of that building devoted to a museum so I could have a look at those old clocks and the tools that made them. I found a few images of Ansonia novelty clocks surfing the grand ole internet.

A 7th Avenue optician names itself after the factory. Their sign is one of my favorites in Park Slope. It's just black, white and gray, very noir. I wonder if they have any novelty clocks in there. Perhaps only novelty glasses.

3 comments:

Alex Richman said...

Agree with your thoughts on the Ansonia. I have always wanted to see/live in apartments in there. They look very lofty from the street with the exposed vents.

Lo said...

I too fantasize about living in the Ansonia. But I think it will always remain a fantasy, alas.

vanessa marie said...

I didn't know it was a clock factory back in the day. I always wondered what that building was. And Ansonia, what a great name. Anyway, thanks for yet another contribution to my Park Slope/Windsor Terrace education =)