Saturday, March 29, 2008

dogs park for free in s. slope








This dog was tied to one of the new meters on 7th Avenue waiting for its owner to finish shopping at Union Market. Some dogs seem anxious when separated from their masters but this one was perfectly comfortable, lying with its rear in the sun and face in the shade. That would be my choice as well. But unlike this dog I had to feed the meter to park, which I don't mind so much because it means that I can shop at some of these places without facing the likelihood of the double parking fines.

It used to be that I could only shop lower 7th avenue if I had ample time for the long walk there and back, now I can shoot over and perhaps find a space. But I feel guilty about enjoying this because of my S. Slope friends for whom parking has gotten that much harder. I took a very informal survey, asking Pizza Plus and Toy Space what they thought of the meters, and if they thought their business would improve. The people at Pizza Plus were not happy about the meters, but the woman working the register at Toy Space seemed very relieved that her customers would no longer have to park illegally to buy that last minute birthday present or whatever.

The day I met up with this golden retriever I shopped at Union Market for the second time. I got fresh salsa for $3.99, which was all I wanted it to be, but the roast chicken for $8.99 was drier and less flavorful than what I've gotten from Key Food for about 3 dollars less. A little surprising. The tall registers with prominent computer screens at Union Market are completely bizarre and slightly intimidating, but they make it easy to see if you're being overcharged.


If this dog were my dog he'd have had my dry chicken for dinner. I'm sure Union Market can do better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bought the fresh salsa this weekend too! And on my way out I said "those little chickens are so cute" but didn't get one of those.

A few blocks away there was a puppy waiting for his owner. I stopped and said "Hi Puppy!!" (I like to do that) and he started barking at me in a bad way. I shrieked (couldn't help it) and was on my way. Got to be careful with those parked puppies.