Monday, March 10, 2008

The Juice Box Sign



One of the things I loved about Mexico was seeing signs hand-painted right on the buildings, on the cement spread over the cinder block. It was nice to get back and see what Juice Box had done for their sign. At first I thought it strange that Juice Box is a little hard to read, it's right on top of some of the juice drops. But now it seems nice to catch a break from all the overstated things in the world. And I want to like it because they didn't take the safe route and get a forest green or burgundy awning sign like many places would have. And they didn't go with one of the ultra slim and minimal fonts that seem to always turn up but trotted out these hefty letters sporting their chunky mojo.

The line of drops are what dominate the sign however, and you could almost imagine the sign with only the drops, I think it would still get the point across. They are painted with a contrast of blobbiness and delicacy I find compelling, and in my addled mind they plink like piano keys as my eyes run across them.

Thanks to Juice Box I've had the strange experience of actually enjoying a new sign. It is such an odd feeling because I'm so used to being disappointed. But Spitzer has more than made up for my little break.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm one of the owners of Juice Box and I'm glad that you like the sign. It was painted by an artist named Mark Turgeon who we've gotten to know and admire very much. He's done some other signs and commercial work around the city (including painting our logo in the window of our store which you can't see with the gates down). Thanks so much for writing about the sign!

amarilla said...

If you like, send a photo with the gates up and I'll post it. I wanted one like that but haven't been in the right place at the right time.

Thanks so much for the information on your artist.