Monday, March 31, 2008

Ridgewood Redemption

I had never heard of Ridgewood until recently, and when it was mentioned I felt very confused, I kept thinking it was in the Bronx or Queens. I'm not sure how common it is for a neighborhood to fall in both Brooklyn and Queens as is the case with Ridgewood. Apparently if you live in Ridgewood, Queens your mailing address has to be Ridgewood, Brooklyn. It's out there, past Bushwick, and from what I've read and seen it seems similar to Windsor Terrace. One day I'll go see. Here's 2 stories I recently came across that took place in this bi-boro enclave.

A Woman with a Big Mouth

I always thought my friend M must have had the most amazing mother because though her mother had passed away she always seems to be so close to M's mind, a force, someone whose fierceness and will still keep her husband in line.

When I got to see M recently, which is especially nice because being with the woman is like suddenly being blessed with extraordinarily good weather, I asked her what it was like growing up with her strong mother. She and her 9 younger siblings grew up in Ridgewood Brooklyn between 40 and 50 years ago.

Her answer surprised me. Terrible, she said. She was never kind, always yelling, beating us, forcing us to take cod liver oil. I was so surprised to hear this, because M just doesn't seem like the kind of person whose endured an upbringing like that.
We never talked, she was always yelling, yelling, yelling. But watch out if you ever said anything about us, because she would be in your face.

M said that she left home at the age of 22 and headed for Puerto Rico with her boyfriend, and when she did she left a letter for her mother listing everything thing she had ever done to disappoint her. What a letter that must have been.

Not long after that she started getting letters from her sisters asking her "What did you do to mom? She's totally different now. One sister wrote "She talks to us, she wants to know what boys I like, she's like a friend now...what did you do to her?"

M didn't last long in Puerto Rico. The man she went with wasn't the man she thought he was, and people she new there had little use for a woman inclined to speak the truth, loudly. She had no friends and was lonely, so she left. She found herself living on the Upper West Side, a comfortable place for a woman with extremely clear vision and a very big mouth.

Later, when her mother forgave her for her honesty, they became best friends.


A Bit of Witchcraft, a story from Brooklyn.net, told in 1938 by Annie Nilsson, one of a series of recollections of the neighborhood.

When I was fifteen, I knew a very pretty girl who lived with her parents on Freshpond Road, Ridgewood. An old woman who used to sell pretzels in the vicinity was said to be possessed of an "evil eye." (Read on)

7 comments:

Klick said...

My Mother grew up in Ridgewood, near Knickerbocker Ave. It is funny that all they wanted to do was get out of Ridgewood, my Grandparents moved to the Catskills and my parents to another "nicer" part of Queens. Now I look to live in neighborhoods like Ridgewood, like Windsor Terrace because of the architecture, history and now my own nostalgia. I am trying to find the very thing my parents where trying to get away from but I guess that is always the case...

Queens Crapper said...

The address for Ridgewood is Ridgewood, NY 11385. It no longer has a Brooklyn zip code, although some hipsters who live there refer to it as Bushwick for the coolness factor.

Joyce Hanson said...

I wonder if the storyteller Annie Nilsson was Swedish. Was Ridgewood once a neighborhood of immigrants from Sweden? Amarilla, you've got me thinking about my ghostly Aunt Gogo again, Amarilla--Gogo was born in Sweden and orginally named Helga.

I'm looking now at a cookbook my Swedish grandmother gave to me. It was published in Chicago in 1955 by the American Daughters of Sweden. The old woman in "A Bit of Witchcraft" was selling pretzels, but I didn't find any pretzel recipes in my book. I did, however, find recipes for spice cookies ("pepparkakor") and cardamom buns ("bullar med kardemumma").

amarilla said...

Klick, M grew up near Knickerbocker too. Near Eldred, I believe.

amarilla said...

Thanks QC. I'm very excited to have received your transboro commentary.

Joyce, I'm still thinking about Gogo and Dodo too. Not only that, I have a Scandinavian cookbook I found on 17th st., but it was published in 1961. It includes recipes for making "poor knights" and "tuesday soup."

Joyce Hanson said...

I'm thinking to cooking a three-course meal for me and the hubby out of Nana's Swedish cookbook.

Anonymous said...

I'm originally from Ridgewood. It used to be a majority German neighborhood. I'm not aware of a large Scandinavian presence.

As a boy, my old man used to sell soft pretzels on the streets of Ridgewood. It was a popular way for the local youth to make pocket money: buy pretzels at the pretzel factory on Starr St. for 2 cents and sell them for a nickel. You can't find good pretzels on the streets of NY anymore, but here's my recipe if you'd like to try your hand:
Click here for PDF

Here are two small improvements I've made since writing that recipe: use 2 cups bread flour and 1 cup all-purpose, and don't boil the pretzels, simmer them. I'll update the PDF when I have time.

Ridgewood was and is a great neighborhood--or at least it is until it gets overrun by hipsters and yuppies and the working class and middle class residents get priced out. I suppose it's inevitable, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. I wanted to move back for the longest time, but the years flew by and now I'm just too settled into my situation to pack up and start over again.

Anyway, go see Ridgewood sometime!