Thursday, April 3, 2008

Greetings from....the Luna Park Saloon












On Saturday we dropped my 5th grader off at Mark Twain for her various auditions and then sought out a way to kill a few hours with 2 very tired children on our hands. We spent a little time exploring the Coney Island strip malls on Neptune Avenue. I think the one where this photo was shot was called the Trump Plaza.

This sign caught my eye and my husbands as well, so I took a shot from the passenger's seat. Just as I was trying to frame the picture, and be discreet about, a man came out and said really loud "Hiya, Douche!" Or what sounded like that. I was astonished and asked my husband "Did you hear what he said to me?" "No, I think he was talking on his cel phone." "I didn't see a cel phone. How does he know I'm a douche?"

I guess it's not always a great idea to photograph people coming out of bars, but that wasn't my intention, I just wanted to take a picture of that lettering before it all fell off.

Later that weekend I was taking a picture of Mitchell's on Vanderbilt St when all the sudden people started coming out. I always assume, right or wrong, tht people don't really want a shutterbug right in their faces so I backed off. This woman came out in her Sunday best, wearing a grey silk hat with multiple teirs and vieling. She had on high heel shoes and a coat that came down to her ankles. I haven't seen a hat like that in a long time. I should have begged her to pose for me.

About those auditions, they really stressed my daughter out. Call me soft, but I think 10 years old is too young for that kind of pressure. I guess this is a rather performance oriented place to live.

1 comment:

Lo said...

Oh, don't get me started on the pressures on ten-year-olds in this city. :-(