Saturday, June 7, 2008

17th St. Shells













There's more on the ground than dog shit, although I've sure seen alot of that lately. I found this robin's egg on 17th St. in Windsor Terrace last week. I brought it home and put it on a bureau, then fished it out of the trash later after the house cleaner had left. Yes, I would have been in Bellevue long ago without Rosa, and as it is I might check myself in soon. Who needs a bier garden around here as a vestige of the old world. What I want is an old world sanitorium, with a bier garden.

I think a woman I walked past on 17th St. in Manhattan might have thought she needed to call a few men in white for me. Right before Broadway I saw a baby bird hopping around on the ground, cheerfully, but it was really young, its wings barely full at all. I heard alot of squawking above me, and I saw the little one try but not get far off the ground. A woman was walking her golden retriever a yard away from me, and I asked her if she thought the bird was going to be alright. She thought I was telling her to keep her dog away from it, and said, oh, he won't bite it. Then I explained to her that I was just really worried about the bird and she looked a little friendlier, but worried for me.

I turned away from her to look for the baby but didn't see it anywhere, so I guessed (hoped) it had taken off. I told the woman and she said, in a friendly if slightly patronizing way, I guess your problem is solved. Well, maybe the bird's is, but not mine.

If any of these new condos wind up standing empty, I have a good idea for it. But don't we all?

3 comments:

Rob K said...

Good for you for looking out for the bird.

Don't you just love those Manhattan types?

Matthew said...

The snail shell seems to be the former home of an English garden snail, Cepaea nemoralis. Nice digs! I mean, if you're a snail...

amarilla said...

And how lucky it is, to have a home that expands as it does. I wish my pants did that.