Sunday, June 8, 2008

Get Your Ices























Miracle of miracles we have an ice cream store in Windsor Terrace, on 16th St. right by the entrance to the subway. Lia's was opened by a man named Frank last Wednesday, Lia is his niece. His timing was beautiful because he opened on this hottest of hot weekends. And I understand he is very happy with the turnout. The offerings include ices, sorbet, and gelato in all the usual flavors and some less traditional including fig, green tea and red bean.

I'm marvelling, first we get a Dub Pies, and now we have ices, all in the same block. You can even sit in front of Lia's on the plastic seats they kindly put out. Lucky for them they can easily take them in because at Dub Pies they've had a bit of a problem with homeless people (understandably) taking advantage of their seating largesse.

Between Dub Pies, Farrell's, Lia's, Enzo's, and the benches in front of Dub Pies, I see little reason to ever leave that corner. I'm still in suspense about what will become of the Universal Video space. Netflix killed the video store...but I love it anyway.

9 comments:

Phill said...

I saw the ices today! Exciting! I noticed that something is going on across the corner at the old pet food store - renovating and a permit. Maybe another new neat thing!

On the flip side - Joey (who was one of the more beloved homeless, as opposed to infamous), died this week. I went to the wake at Smith's and it was jammed with neighborhood people.

vanessa marie said...

Very pleased with this development. With no AC in the apartment, I will be in need of icy treats all summer!

Also... they are doing something with a storefront between 16th and Windsor. One day they had the wooden boards off the sign on the top and it was an amazing old stained-glass type of sign, almost completely intact, that said "SODA ICE CREAM CANDY" but maybe not in that order. I wanted to get a picture but it was boarded up again next time I saw it. I wonder what they are doing with that place... & hope you catch a glimpse of that sign, if you haven't already!

vanessa marie said...

ah well, somebody got a picture of it at least: http://flickr.com/photos/sbethell/2539305268/

amarilla said...

Thanks, Vanessa. I totally missed that brief window of opportunity. Sorry for the pun. I believe that place was called Wetters and was a popular hangout a little while ago. Steve Finamore of the Container Diaries blog and his readers could tell us all about it.

Phill said...

Another bit of trivia - Don't know if the info is still accurate, but I'm told that a Manhattan bar/pub owner is opening a place in the Universal space.

Unknown said...

hey you can see the "SODA ICE CREAM CANDY" stain glass sign today...at least when I was leaving for work...I wanted to head back in and grab my camera but I was in a rush to a job interview. anyways, perhaps you'll catch it.

Anonymous said...

This is the *second* ice cream place in Windsor Terrace, of course -- Louie G's has been on the corner of Vanderbilt and PPSW for a good few years now.

amarilla said...

I got a picture of it Bobby! Will post later. But the shot is not as good as the flickr link Vanessa posted.

You are right, Emily. I'm just glad we have a place near the main drag, if you want to look at it that way.
I haven't forgetten the heat busting Uncle Louie G.

Anonymous said...

I heard that someplace called The Cake Shop (I hope I got that right) that also has a location on the LES is opening where Universal Video was. Cafe, coffee, with music etc. at night. Sounds good.