Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Met in the Park

















My mother told me that these two actually are a couple, we didn't know if what we witnessed was simply part of the pageantry of opera or not. It was cool and beautiful last night, but between these two stars at times things got a little hot.

Funny how I have to go to see the opera in Prospect Park to encounter the kind of heat I always see in Corona Park. Except once when I came across two people going at it in the rushes by Prospect Lake. Scared me a little. Too much heat.

I'm so grateful to the Metropolitan Opera for coming to Brooklyn (the same week as Ikea, no less) and bringing with it the exquisite passion and sonic exuberance of Roberto Alagna and Angela Gheorghiu for the enjoyment of 30,000 (?) people who attended last night, not to mention the infinite array of bugs, bats, birds, squirrels, rats, plants and trees. I'm shocked that my husband got home early enough for me to enjoy this amazing lunar-solar display for the solstice, this stunning balance of cold and hot. But I do feel bad I didn't bring the little ones. The ones around me were having a beautiful night.

The bats disappeared shorty after dusk. Is that normal? I was wondering if perhaps they were frustrated by sonic interference of the singers. Opera's not for everyone. But the weather was in their favor, and last night's downpour held off until around 11, well after the show was over.

See more of the sonic duo on my flickr but be warned, it's pretty much all just faces. My suggestion: make a flip book in between block parties. Or not.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was also at the concert and enjoyed it very much. Just wondering whether you knew the name of the aria/love song she sang during the encore? It was sung in Italian and I loved it, but didn't catch the name....

Anonymous said...

I think it was called "Caruso," and seemed to be something of an homage to the singer.