Monday, August 25, 2008

Brooklynometry Camel Cam


This dromedary camel I met at the Shenandoah Fair is my new cathexis. Just remembering the feeling of his tender muzzle and warm breath against my ear makes me... think how ridiculous it is that many consider these animals hostile spitters. No NO NO!

D for dromedary, D for one hump, the word dromedary derives from ancient Greek for running, which these camels who are taller and more delicate than their Bactrian kin manage to do at 8 to 9 miles per hour even when loaded with the nomads' encampment. They have soft surprisingly tender looking feet that spread out against the ground to keep the graceful chargers from sinking into the sand.

I was wondering if the word Andromeda was related to the word dromedary but it doesn't seem to be the case. Andromeda seems to break down into an ancient Greek version of "stand by your man." The camel, however, will politely kneel so its rider can mount the high, high hump. I simply can't get over the grace and nobility of these hard-times animals. So the next time someone calls me a large even-toed ungulate, you can bet I'll take it as a complement.

More fair animals here.

No comments: