Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Odd Sparrow, Lard


The sparrow in the muddy photo above was part of a flock that appreciated the weedy yard on a corner near here one afternoon. No offense, but I think it might be a mutant. That's cool.

I call it Snow Cap because after I saw it I went to Key Food where I witnessed the scene of a handsome couple asking a store stocker where the lard was, but the man wasn't sure. I overheard everything, couldn't help it, and knew there was lard in the back, I'd just noticed that blue packaging with the strange heart and mountains on it the week before. I think it read Snow Cap Manteca. So I told the lard seekers where the lard was, but they didn't believe me. They thought I was talking about shortening.

Anyway, I don't even know the difference so I shut my mouth. I wonder what most people who buy it use it for? Maybe prize winning pie crusts. Well, there's no fair around here presently, so no one will be winning anything. But I admit that I strongly feel it's time for a cakewalk. Or is the cakewalk over? I should have enjoyed it while it lasted. I'm in the mood to spend myself into oblivion.

No comments: