Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Sunday Around Gowanus








The potted cactuses sit on the windowsills of Michiyo Ihara's studio, keeping her company as her delicate, spell binding snowflakes emerge from her pencil point. I love to think that in her drawings, she is channeling her plant's dreams.

When she saw us come through the door with our three children she kept her cool and appeared with a bag full of mini candy bars, which she emptied into a bowl. My son would have been happy to stay in her studio, next to that bowl, all day. And I could have spent much more time gazing at her snowflakes, and her happy plants.

Too bad I only made it to 543 Union and Proteus Gowanus, where I viewed an installation from a friendly neighborhood Bachelor, an amazing collection of artificats, and some beautiful and conceptual beadwork by Annette Tacconelli-a stiff mix of delicate and industrial. I hope next year I'll cover more ground.

No comments: