Monday, October 13, 2008

Under the F


I was buying produce today at G.S.A. King Tomato on McDonald, under the elevated tracks of the F. When the cashier got to my pomegranate he turned his amazing heart- shaped face to me and intensely asked the cost. I said 1.99. I could barely stop staring at him because he looked so much like the face in one of those encoustic Etruscan mummy paintings, those hyperreal faces with the large knowing eyes gazing out from under the arches of perfect black eyebrows.

He didn't seem to accept my reply and wanted to know where I got the pomegranate. I couldn't say anything because the answer seemed so obvious. I got it in your store. Then he tried to break it down for me. Did you get it by the grapes? he said to me, almost in baby talk. I pointed to where I got it but this didn't seem to satisfy him either. I told him I got it behind the onions. At this point the cashier at the next register swooped in and rescued me, confirming the cost as 1.99. She explained they have others for 2.99. And so it became clear, I was buying the loser's pomegranate.

What brought us to this part of town was a trip to the indoor kiddy playland called Kids N' Action. Boasting a small indoor roller coaster, an enormous habitrail style maze, a train, arcade games and race cars, it's an excellent place to try out new earplugs. But I had promises to keep. I wound up bringing a book on Roman and Etruscan Painting, which gave tooth to the visit since the place is covered in quick spray paint murals featuring the usual suspects. It was interesting to compare scenes from the Pompeian Villa of the Mysteries or the gorgeous gardens adorning the walls of the House of Livia to the dancing Coke and Sprite cans painted on the wall. The visit wasn't too bad overall, though, especially since many of the woman who worked there were much kinder to me than they needed to be.

I don't know much about those stunning mummy paintings I saw in the book, but I don't think I'll ever look at one again without feeling accused of trying to pass the 1.99 pomegranate of for the 2.99 pomegranate. As if someone would trifle over a dollar from the afterlife, the large almond-shaped eyes wide with accusation, in place of that dreamy, all-knowing gaze. I'm hoping for an antidote to the experience soon, and I'm hoping the guy at the store can somehow relax a little.

5 comments:

Bluebird of Friendliness said...

GSA King Tomato is a staple of my life. It's the cheapest place to get produce, and it has a great selection. I'm glad you've discovered it as well!

Matthew said...

For some of the most incredible eyes, almond and otherwise, in painting, check out the Fayum portraits from the Greco-Roman Egypt of 2000 years ago.

amarilla said...

Good to know you endorse King Tomato. Next time I go back I'll have the gumption to actually get a cart instead of trying to carry dozens of things in my arms.

Thew, thanks for the link to the motherload of portraits. Amazing!

Unknown said...

Hello there I stumbled to this posting because I'm working at g.s.a king tomato at this moment and have nothing better to do and google the store I work in .
The boy you're describing in this passage is me and I would like to deeply appoligize if I made your visit at g.s.a king tomato an unpleseant one
I value all of my customers as if they were my own family I hope you still shop in the store happy holidays and a happy new years
-Sal

amarilla said...

Hey, it was a delicious pomegranate, no hard feelings, you were just trying to do a good job, weren't you? Happy New Year to you!