Thursday, December 4, 2008

Blanks


This is not exactly a Key Party at Brooklyn Hardware Supply. The maiden keys you see in the window are on extra good behavior like orphans hoping to secure surveying parents, waiting for the grinder's peaks and valleys to make them unique, wondering what locks they'll lock and what cylinders they'll roll.

Keys may live a long time but they don't retain their importance. The grandiosity dissapears when the lock changes. I have a home for cast-offs, which help me memorialize everything I once learned that's no longer useful to me, some things I learned that I shouldn't have, things I learned that I tried to forget as quickly as possible, things I learned that I considered very significant at the time but later lost interest in, things other people learned and outgrew, and things people long dead learned so long ago that no one even knows what it was or what it meant but it might have been awesome, or not so good. When I've got enough, it will be party time for the keys.

No comments: