Sunday, January 11, 2009

found






















One thing to appreciate about being disorganized is the opportunities the condition creates for surprising yourself, like the surprise I felt when I came across this photo of a scarf I made about 20 years ago. I was searching for a dvd with the staying power to keep Nora in place while I conducted her second comb through in my new role as nit nurse. While savagely digging into a shelf of books and discs packed two layers deep I came across a scrap book that my father's wife gave me years ago after they'd had a chimney fire at their house. The book has snapshots of every piece of art made by me or my father– it was amazingly considerate of her to put the book together. One of the pages had a shot of this scarf I'd once made and given to her as a gift. I used to love to make batik designs, I had tjanting tools, electric frying pans and what not for melting wax, dylon dyes, silk, all the accouterments. I taught one session of a batik class at a local community center which was greatly appreciated by its participants. Then I moved on. To what I'm not sure.

Amazing to find this since the image has been on my mind since last week, I was trying to remember what it looked like exactly, and how I'd managed to pull it off without getting the stencil clogged with wax. At any rate, I find these mini plots involving searching for one thing but finding another to be very entertaining swivels in whatever this is that we call life. This twist I owe to the lice.

No comments: