Thursday, February 26, 2009

Umbella

















No I didn't forget the "r" this time, that's New Latin you see there. I'm inspired to pony out the New Latin, even if Latin of any chronology tends to be a blog killer, on account of reading an amazing post at the abecedariumNYC called the Umbel of Umbels by Erik Shurinck in which he botanizes Coney Island's Parachute Jump Thrill Ride. Talk about Planthropology!

Also under my bumbershoot of happiness, the news that Joyce Hanson, formerly of bad girls, has started a new blog about good girls, which I'm very interested to read. Her new focus won't drop her ratings over here at Brooklynometry. And more joy! M. Thew's now also writing about bee keeping and hive legalization here in NYC, I've discovered a beautiful Brooklyn brewed blog about trees, and Marie Viljoen of 66 Square Feet has returned to the County of Kings and persists in making everything delicious. She includes generous helpings of gorgeous South Africa country side, not to be missed.

Thanks to M. Thew for answering some of my questions about London Plane trees. He thinks the leaf in the Park's Department logo is a Norway Maple, a favorite of Robert Moses. According to the esteemed Professor Gingko of The Daily Plant, we're both wrong, and right.

3 comments:

Matthew said...

Damn, what an ego that Moses had. "I will make my own species of tree!"

Marie said...

Thank you for the plug, Amarilla

:-)

Cotton Wool & Silk said...

Oh my. . .to look at this lovely unbella and actually be able, by doing such, FEEL a warm breeze.