Sunday, May 3, 2009

Kitchen Nebulas



Russell got a day off school Friday because he convinced me that he wouldn't be able to write because he'd jammed his finger playing ball the previous day. I wanted to be convinced...he seemed to need a day off. I think the pollen may be getting to him, he's had a short fuse this past week.

We spent some time looking at the different nebulas and marveling over their forms and names. Eagle, Horsehead, Cat's eye, Rorschach, Crab, Helix (his favorite, looks like an alien's eye), Orion, Lagoon, Trifid, Eskimo, Cresent, Carina. I know so little about them. He views them as "the eggs of stars." I tried to tell him that they are also the product of an old star's decay, but he didn't want to hear about that. It's a big topic for little ears.

We read about how once a star forms other particles in the nebula are drawn to it by its gravity, that immaterial adhesive. Whether a nebula is a star nursery or funeral pyre, I enjoy looking at them as astral velvet paintings, or stellar flock boxes.

No comments: