Saturday, May 9, 2009

an oak near the tennis house




After 11 years of living in Windsor Terrace, I made a first full loop around Prospect Park while joining Kids for a Better Future in their walkathon to benefit the victims of the Union Carbide disaster in Bhopal. Russell and Sophie held up for the whole stretch admirably, but Nora spent half the circuit in her stroller. I suppose we can forgive her since she's only 4. We ended under this oak with deep, smooth lobes so long they look like fingers. Then the nearby ice cream cart suddenly developed a very long line.

As an aside, can someone tell me why traffic around the loop is directed counter clockwise?

1 comment:

Ian W. said...

My guess about the traffic direction is that it's related to driving on the right-hand side. It means entrances and exits are always on the right (like on the highway), plus it prevents you from having to cross oncoming traffic at Grand Army Plaza.

That reminds me of my favorite Wikipedia article: right- and left-hand traffic.