Sunday, May 31, 2009

point of origin





















There were snowdrifts on Sackett and Hicks last evening, at first I believed there'd been an explosion at an insulation company, until I got close and saw that each tiny puff encased a small white seed. The wind coming off the river was blowing them towards the BQE, so I headed West to find the source of such abudant softness. The trace disappeared when I got to the entrance of the Human Compass Garden, and seeing the gate was open I went inside. I wandered around still unable to find the source for too long I think considering that the drifts snowed from two tall trees I had initially taken to be Tulips, which grew not far from the Garden's entrance. Tall, tall trees with heart shaped, toothed leaves about 3-4 inches wide that drew to long points at the tip, sheltering cascading tear-drop shaped pods packed to bursting with compressed downy parachutes woven around seeds that seem far too tiny to engender such large trees.

From the garden's sign I took in the quote from Leonardo Da Vinci, "In this small space, the universe can be completely reproduced and rearranged in its entire vastness!"

Today I found more of the quote, the lines which indicate that Da Vinci was actually reveling in the faculty of vision: "Here, right here, in the eye, here forms, here colors, right here the character of every part and every thing of the universe, are concentrated to a single point. How marvelous that point is!"

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Cottonwood trees.