Thursday, September 27, 2007

Buggy Brooklyn

The guilt I have, because I haven't paved over either the front of back yard. Aesthetically, spiritually, I couldn't do it. But I think my neighbors wish I would, so there would be fewer mosquitoes around here. They've been bad, they disappeared for the little cold snap we had in mid September, but they came back with vengeance. Although they seem a little deranged, and I've noticed they often go for the joints, which doesn't make any sense to me. Are they zombies or something?

Someone told me she heard that Brooklyn had elected not to spray this year. Is that true? I wonder how a decision like that gets made. It's a drag to worry about the pesticides. It's a drag to have to worry about West Nile virus. It's disturbing to see children covered with bites, and to lie awake at night after developing a stinging welt. I wonder if I'll figure out how they're getting in the house.

I wonder what it will be like next year.

No comments: