Saturday, January 19, 2008

Portrait with Stomach Virus
















Weird how the virus all the suddens appears like a swamp monster bumming you out. The 3 year old was sick for 3 days, threw up on Friday, felt ok on Saturday, but then on Sunday she was like a rag doll who refused to be put down all day. The 10 year old was sick for 5 days. She was pale and exhausted all week, grey and pinkish circles around her eyes. Today she's her old self, better than new, playing with her siblings and guiding her brother through science experiments.

When I woke up this morning I felt like I had a crowbar in my stomach. As the day passed, the crowbar moved up into my head. For some reason my son was moved to draw this picture of me passed out on the sofa. He said "Mommy, it's a scribble figure. I learned how to do that at the Brooklyn Museum." He went there on a class trip this week. He also mentioned learning about something called the Burghers. He told me a very long story about how they overcame oppression from a tyrannical king. Maybe one day I'll figure out what he was talking about.

3 comments:

AFC said...

The sickness has hit us too.. 3 year old with a 104 fever and 18 month old puking everywhere..Hope you all feel better soon!

Old First said...

That sickness hit us three times, and there's only two of us.

Maybe the Dutch burghers against the King of Spain?

amarilla said...

ajc,
I hope the kids are better now.

old first,
3 times! I hope you have immunity to it by now. So many people have been sick. I just found out my daughter has strep.