Monday, December 22, 2008

Happy Hanukkah/Marish






















I snagged this from the living room floor in my search for Hanukkah material. I am so pissed off that after all this time I have to think really hard when I try to spell that word, I have to choose to go with the H or CH version, and try not to intermix them. My son didn't even try to spell Hanukkah, a wise boy. He portrayed evil holidays (the black snowman on the monster's arm) with good holidays (the snowman on the ground.) What Marish is I can't say.

What a day, train troubles (no Manhattan bound F train at 15th St. around 9:30 this morning), then more train troubles (the one we finally got went out of service at Jay.) Finally at work, I rode the elevator with one who said she had no heat or electricity last night, seems there was some kind of brown out on Bedford in Williamsburg last night, but the burger didn't look too frozen. I think there was one socket working so she plugged in a space heater. What a way to start the festival of lights!

My arm feels broken today, I slept wrong on it, the lens I used at work today is broken, my other camera isn't working right, the car was dead when I went to pick up the kiddos from school, and I dropped things all day long. It was one of those "no" days. I wonder when the next "yes" day will be.

This ruddy holy family on Prospect Avenue interests me. Strange how much Joseph looks like Vershinin as played in The Three Sisters production I saw on Friday. So maybe Jesus will look like a little Vershinin. I always wonder what the Rabbi of Nazareth really looked like. With a mother and father both rusty and blue eyed there's a 100% chance the baby will be a redhead. Just like great great ancestor King David.

Soon enough he'll be swaddled tightly and laid out for all to see on the manger filled with pine boughs. I'll miss it because I'll be in Rhode Island. I suppose they have mangers there too. I understand manger means "to eat," but no one uses that word except at Christmas.

4 comments:

Bluebird of Friendliness said...

I'll be in RI this weekend too. We're doing a La Salette run on Saturday night... lotsa lights!

I love the way kids attempt to spell holidays. My sister and I have dug up our elementary school journals for fun several times, and one year she wished everyone a "merry crimam". Merry Crimam and Happy Marish!

amarilla said...

La Salette? Run? Well, enjoy the lights! Happy Crimam to you too!

Ian W. said...

La Salette Shrine in nearby Attleboro, MA has an annual holiday lighting display that's quite the spectacle. Every Rhode Islander has likely been there at least once in his or her life. They even have a menorah!

amarilla said...

Well, hopefully I'll be there soon too!