Friday, January 1, 2010

dog dream


What I love most about New Year's, we don't really have culturally sanctioned mass hysteria very often, except for constantly. H1N1, panty hose, Y2K, etc. When I was young you could buy these pills that you'd chew after brushing your teeth and if you had missed any places they'd turn bright red. Somehow that product mocked us too much to garauntee its survival. But still, happy happy, as my dad often says, today is the first day of the rest of your life.

I'm not sure if the recent sightings of the ghost dog at our house were caused by group hysteria, but I'm sure they influenced this dream I had: I dreamed I had sleep paralysis caused by the visitation of the phantom dog. A small cream colored dog, in one part of the dream a Pekingnese in the other some sort of short-haired terrier. When I could move I picked it up in my hands and dangled it in front of me. It didn't weigh much and its soft tummy bulged slightly. All the sudden the dog had no head! Tricky ghost! Then, it suddenly had a red and white clock for a head.

Like a mandala a clock has a bindu point, a central dot, the anchor for the arms. The clock's hands echoed mine as I held the dog. But where was my bindu, naval, the point of emergence, the root, the speck of infinity? Creeping silently around the edges, out of my sight, as always.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

The Great Pantyhose Hysteria... that was in the '70s?

amarilla said...

I don't know about you but it must have been at least 20 years since I've seen one of those nylon 'pickled people,' a byproduct of the age of nylon and another thing that hilariously mocked the public pursuit of perfection, bodily and otherwise.