Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Flash Flood

I heard the warnings on the radio like everyone else and maybe they too wondered where in Brooklyn flash floods occur. I don't think the watershed in Prospect Park gathers enough water to cause a torrent in the ravine, but maybe it's happened. The real danger Monday was falling into the sky by stepping in a puddle, or becoming hypnotized by the upside down worlds framed in liquid mirrors because it is easy to tell those worlds are a lot wilder than this one.

2 comments:

Ian W. said...

Does Prospect Park have a legitimate watershed? I know the water that forms most of the aquatic features in the park is the same NYC tap water that we all drink -- siphoned south from the Catskills via New York City Water Tunnels 1 and 2 -- the well-disguised entry point being the waterfall by the dog pond. I just assumed all the natural stuff drained off into the sewers, but I don't know for sure.

amarilla said...

That's a good point. I suppose I was imaging it without the tap water, the sewers and all the erosion proofing. Brooklyn's brooks are underground and occasionally curbside.