Wednesday, January 13, 2010

No Divide


The fault lines that break so many hearts and bones also lead many to common ground that is almost impossible to find in complacent times. I suppose that's what Rebecca Solnit discussed but I wouldn't know for sure because I never read her book, A Paradise Built in Hell. She was brave to take on such a tricky subject. On the radio I heard Bill Clinton envision this catastrophe as a chance for some kind of spiritual renewal in Haiti, but the truth is the strange work of the catastrophic puts anyone anywhere in an entirely new landscape in which divides are diminished; now Haiti seems much closer.

People want badly to help. I've heard people recommend donating to the following organizations: Doctors Without Borders, Mercy Corps, the American Jewish World Service, UN Relief Fund. This list from The Takeaway mentions many others. I'm also told you can text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help relief efforts (charged to your phone bill), but I haven't tried it out yet.

3 comments:

Neoslinger said...

This is really a well laid out website. I like how you have presented the information in full detail. Keep up the great work and please stop by at my site sometime. Keep it up..

Studies using nitrile exam gloves have shown that they also greatly reduce irritations as well as infections.
They are very comfortable to wear and can actually be worn for extended periods of time.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful image. Beautiful sentiment.

amarilla said...

Thanks!