Wednesday, February 3, 2010

white on white



How many distinct whites could Van Gogh articulate, anyway...never mind, yesterday I came across this passage in Nachmanovitch's Free Play, a trustworthy book on the creative process. He begins the chapter "Sex and Vioins" (!) with this...
"I am always between two currents of thought; first the material difficulties, turning round and round and round to make a living; and second, the study of color. I am always hoping to make a discovery here, to express the feelings of two lovers by a marriage of two complementary colors, their mingling and their opposition, the mysterious vibrations of kindred tones. To express the thought behind a brow by the radiance of a bright tone against a somber background. To express hope by some star, the eagerness of a soul by a sunset glow. " ~Van Gogh
Among whites, I imagine, there are the tiniest fluctuations that can constitute a landscape of difference. Smilla's sense of snow.

3 comments:

Maki said...

Beautiful! I love white scene and details.
You had snow. I like snow scene, but we don't have snow rarely.

amarilla said...

I'd love to see the photos you'd take of snowy things.

Maki said...

amarilla. I will try in the next chance we have snow.^^
Makiko