Monday, March 15, 2010

soaked



Four days ago the bean on the left looked much like the one on the right, but like the rest of us, it got a good flooding. I was fishing around for recipes for these Great Northern beans, which cooked in less than a half hour after a 24 hour soaking, but the one I liked the best was a sort of hummus (but better), a puree of 2 cups of beans, a handful of cilantro, the juice of half a lime, 2 small cloves of garlic, a bit of salt and a bit of sugar. Even the baby visitor liked it so I plan to make it again, but never, never with canned beans.

The cardboard vegetable tray I used for the background in the shot above supported some organic peppers I bought at key food. Most of the vegetables there still come shrink wrapped onto green styrofoam trays, which is massively depressing and unappealing, so I was happy to find that some are finding healthier options.

No comments: