Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Donuts Too Fresh

Today at a Dunkin Donuts outside of Boston my two-year old mooned everyone at the counter. People laughed hysterically, then felt guilty for encouraging her. I had just been chatting with the women there, telling them we were from Brooklyn. I guess she wanted all the attention. Or maybe she was pulling a publicity stunt. I had never, never seen her do anything like that before and had no idea she was capable.

I was mortified but it seems there's some poetry in it. Perhaps we should bag nursery school, I'm afraid she might not be a great influence on her peers, and get her stand up career started. She doesn't seem to miss a beat. At a Japanese restaurant, I asked her brother to say "No thank you" to the waitress in my normal, uptight way, when she loudly chimed in "No thank poo!"

No mercy for me. What am I doing wrong? Apparently I was severely potty-mouthed myself as a wee tot, and I do remember mooning someone. If you can't beat 'em....maybe you are them.

I saw this comedian talking about how white people never beat their kids, so when they take them into public places, malls, etc, their kids show very little self control. Wander around willy-nilly. My toddler is the prime example of that. What this man was saying really grabbed my attention because it seems so so true, but no, I'm not going to start beating the kids. I'm sure there are white people that beat their kids, and "non-white" people who don't beat theirs, but I'm exactly the kind of white parent this guy was talking about. Seemingly ineffectual. NOT SCARY. Long term? We'll see.

No comments: