Saturday, August 25, 2007

Back to Brooklyn

I wouldn't say I came back to brooklyn with a refreshed mind, but I did notice some things I hadn't before. For instance, on the drive from the Whitestone Bridge to Brooklyn, I saw a black building with an enormous green logo on it that said Octagon. From my view, it looked like the building may or may not have had 8 sides. It was dark and we were going fast. The building gleamed like a black tourmaline crystal. I'm wondering, is the octagonal prism among the platonic forms? I don't think so.

I noticed there's a Buffalo Ave. in Brooklyn. For some reason it made me really happy that there would be a street named after this animal, a symbol of this continent's native abundance. But then I realized the street was named after the city, not the animal, because as we drove down Eastern Parkway we then passed Schenectady, Rochester, Troy. Then the little segments of streets named after NY cities ends and you get to Nostrand. Who was Nostrand. It is a word I am trying to like. Reminds me of nostril, which I don't think is a first rate word, although I realize it refers to a significant body part.

I'd been on Eastern Avenue before, but never really felt how long and enormous it is. It has grandeur, well before you get to the Museum, one of it's most punctuating focal points. Hundreds of thousands must live on that street. How many churches on that one thoroughfare, alone?

The last thing I noticed myself noticing was a cycle on my washing machine that I never use. It was as if the knits cycle hadn't existed. As if I bought a new washing machine with this feature. The feeling reminds me of when I have one of those dreams that I discover all these rooms in my house that I hadn't noticed before. Driving down 8th Avenue to pick up the boy from camp- something that I did 20 times in the month of July, I started to get that feeling, I'd notice buildings I'd never seen before, as if the Avenue had opened like an accordian.

2 comments:

George Fort said...

Hey Amy. This is a great blog. Excellent observations. I still haven't noticed Buffalo street and I'm always driving everywere in Brooklyn.

amarilla said...

thanks for reading, george. how's life in ditmas? can't wait to see your real tuesday weld video and other animation projects at http://georgefort.blogspot.com