Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Plant Stories #2



































Purple Coneflowers at the beginning of July and the beginning of August. Looks like the July sun subtracted some major cyan. By October, the tattered petal tutus will be gone and they'll be black balls of quills, perfect for a witch's bouquet. Carefully wedge your finger into the spur and the seeds start to come apart by the hundreds.

Once, a few years ago, I came out of my house and an old man was gaping at the coneflowers, transfixed. He asked me what they were, said he had never seen such strange flowers before. He asked if he could take one to his wife. I screamed at him "Whassa matter with you, ya romantic. Now, get outta here!" OK, I didn't. I just wrote that because I've been up for 2 hours in the middle of the night afer receiving a painful mosquito bite.

Actually, I gave him one of the flowers with great pride, happy that he hadn't been too ashamed to ask.

No comments: