Thursday, August 30, 2007

Sweet Tooth

My son was driving me nuts, mad for candy. Always asking for the next gumball, jonesing for the next werthers, the next icee. I find this vexing, this constant craving ever tormenting the boy. My grandfather was known for his sweet tooth, my grandmother made him refrigerator cookies, she kept a loaf of fresh dough in the ice box, in the afternoons might slice of a few slabs and cook them in the toaster oven. They were ginger flavored. He also used to eat bread with tomatoes and sugar. I'd be thrilled if any of my kids would go near a raw tomato. I'm even thrilled that I can spell tomato.

Anyway, I kept feeling as if my son were having a problem with sugar. One thing that helped was when I read somewhere that Queens born wonder box artist Joseph Cornell had a sweet tooth. How else could he have cooked up such fetching candy for the eyes. So then I thought maybe the sweet tooth is a good thing, predicts good judgement when it comes to editing experiences. Who knows.

I wonder which of his teeth is the sweet one. The thing I should wonder is, is there some way I can have more confidence in the child?

No comments: