Saturday, September 8, 2007

Extinct in South Slope

Baby Bird
Nest

and others...

I'm sad to see these 7th Avenue shops go, although I bought little in either so I have no one to blame at the moment but myself, assuming they closed for financial reasons. I'm having a lot of Rip Van Winkle experiences lately, I don't know where the time went. Seems to me like so many things are gone all the sudden. I was looking for Cafe Isabella. Apparently its been Parco for 2 or 3 years. People seem to love that place, the two outside tables are usually full. One of these day I'll try the Colombe expresso.

I still miss Lucky Bug. That place was first in the filet of the slope, and moved South around a decade ago when rents started to go nuts. Hung on there for awhile, left a few years ago. I once bought a cake of glycerin soap with a little hulk inside it for my sister's boyfriend there. Miss that soap.

Also went looking for the Musicians General Store, I loved that place, hoped to buy my daughter's student-grade 3/4 length nylon string guitar there. Gone. How long ago? Why?

Wah!

At least we still have the Jeff Bloch Guitar and Amp Wellness Center on the corner of 10th and 17th, where they didn't have a nylon string 3/4 length, although they did have a steel string, so I went to the Guitar Center at the Atlantic Terminal. Found something in the "Acoustic Corral" section of the store, more than I was hoping to spend but I guess I'll trade it up at Jeff Bloch's when girl child outgrows it. The part of the guitar center that sells the acoustic stringed instruments is funny. When you enter it feels like you're in some mountain cabin because of the way they configured their wood paneling. Once in the corral (there's pieces of harnesses on the wall in certain places, I guess that's what they are) you can choose to go into a very small wood paneled room that houses the classical guitars. Feels so much like entering a sauna that you wonder where the people in towels are.


Looks like there will be a Union Market opening soon in South Slope. For some reason I'd rather keep that business on Union Street, made it unique, but whatever, I've never even shopped there. I just read that the Bank of America is replacing Dagostino's, not news to most I'm sure but news to me. Too bad, it's hard to eat money. I wonder who will nest where Nest was nested? Baby bird's nest is now Parker's Place, a very pleasant looking play school, baby birds nesting where Baby Bird nested.

No comments: