Sunday, September 9, 2007

St. Joseph's on Pacific St.





















This amazing cathedral spans the block between Pacific and Dean Streets, between Vanderbilt and Underhill. I'm sure a book could be written about this compound which includes a school, rectory, two gardens and the church itself. It lands just outside the footprint of the Atlantic Yards project, as far as I can tell. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

This place is enourmous, and towers over its tiny street. You get whiplash trying to take it all in. Seems kind of deserted, there's no placard. I only determined the name of the place from inspecting the doormat.

I found Jesus there. Actually 3 Jesuses, statues in a box outside the rectory that looked to be undergoing renovation. I took the baby Jesus icon, although my son begged me not to (gave him the creeps. And he thought I was stealing.) Turns out the little Jesus is called the Infant of Prague. You are supposed to put cash under it and place it facing your front door to bring you prosperity. Could use a little of that.

But, if someone needs their Infant back, let me know.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And how is that not stealing?