Monday, October 29, 2007

Circus at the Library
















Yesterday we hauled off to the library to replenish the literature selection we have around here, which is getting a little tired. There are so many children's books not worth the paper they're printed on, and I think we have most of them in our possession.

When we got to the library there was some kind of show going on, it was kind of loud and frenetic, which was not something I'm used to at the library. A costumed character stood in the center of the kids reading room, singing and performing. Instead of being shushed, kids were being encouraged to sing along.

I understand from people who know much more than I do that this is what libraries are having to do now to increase usage, to justify the expense. In the age of spectacle, screen worship and thrill parks, how can libraries stay relevant? Helping to cultivate educated citizens doesn't seem to be enough anymore.

So I realized how awful I must have been the other day when I was talking to a librarian I know at a party, she happened to be one of the hipster librarians people talk about these days. When she invited me and the kids to attend the circus at the library the following day, I couldn't stop exclaiming, WHAT, THE CIRCUS AT THE LIBRARY!!!!. THAT'S NOT WHAT I WOULD EXPECT AT THE LIBRARY, I MEAN, YOU KNOW, BLAH BLAH BLAH, SQAUWK, SQAUWK, SQUAWK!!! I don't think she appreciated my hot air, well, she didn't look like it anyway.

People like me don't want to accept that libraries, like everything else, are now run according to corporate strategy, and things are changing. Books aren't enough, they don't deliver the caliber of immediate gratification and awe kids have gotten accustomed to. We'll see video games there like Dance Dance Revolution, Circuses, and costumed characters reminscent of the Magic Kingdom. And maybe I'll relax, let the kids enjoy it, save the plane fare to Orlando, and check out some good books.

No comments: