Thursday, March 20, 2008

7th Avenue Met Food






















After a visit to the pediatrician's office this week I ran into Met Food to buy a few things. I am not getting a cent for saying this, just so you know, but shopping in that place makes me happy. Why? I feel like there are so many good things packed into that small place in a manner that allows me to come across mysterious things that I can actually afford. It has none of that suffocating preciousness or contrivance I run into at some of the newer designer markets.

While quickly scanning the aisles I came across a brand of refried beans I'd never seen before called La Morena, bearing a image of a fetching latina up to her shoulders in beans. Why didn't I take a picture of that or buy it? La Morena is the nickname for the Virgin of Guadalupe, the brown-skinned Mexican Madonna always shown within her glorious mandorla. Curiously, her mandorla shares its shape with an ear of corn, and some people connect her with the Aztec Tonanzin, another mother goddess, sometimes called "Bringer of Maize." I find that it is always a enormous pleasure to run into her in any likeness because she has a spendlor that captivates me and relieves my sense of monotony and tediousness.

The people who run Met let me take a picture of the store, requiring no explanation, which was very cool considering how paranoid some shop keepers & others are when it comes to photography these days. The woman at the register ducked out of the picture.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite store in Park Slope. You made it look beautiful! Hey, you haven't signed up for the video shoot yet. Let me know when you can be there on March 29th. Louise

Anonymous said...

I feel similarly about my own neighborhood Met Foods, on 2nd Avenue between 5th and 6th Sts. in the East Village. It's kind of a local treasure. Sadly, NYU is trying to wedge out the owner in order to make way for something that most assuredly will not be the neighborhood lynchpin this place is, but the E,V. crowd is putting up quite a fight. Fresh horseradish and organic tofu and bendy straws and the best-priced milk in a five-block radius. And everyone there is a pleasure to see every day. What more could you want from a little grocery store?

--Lori

amarilla said...

Long live your Met Food. You make it sounds so good, Lori.