Thursday, March 13, 2008

Are Cuervos Grackles?





The first morning of our recent stay in Mexico we were woken early by birds making the oddest sounds on the roof of our palapa; they sounded like experimental violinists one second, the next they were purely percussion. From the string of animated sounds I was hearing I was imagining the most colorful tropical birds.

Later I saw the source of the noise, birds black as oil with yellow eyes, whose bodies seemed boneless as they contorted their necks into positions far more expressive than I was expecting. When in flight they seemed held aloft more from their own flimsiness than any power of wing, their feathers scant as they flopped through the air like burned rags.

I was enchanted by those creepy birds. I kept asking people what they were in my poor Spanish. I was told they were parritos, palomas, and finally cuervos. The bartender was the one who told me this while slowly underlining the word Cuervo on the bottle of tequila he was holding. I understand that cuervo means crow, and these birds had neither the size or density of crows, and certainly a range of notes and gestures far exceeding their Northern brothers.

I kept meaning to look them up in a book but now I believe I won't have to, Daniel Meeter wrote about grackles the other day, and I'm hoping that's what they are because grackle is a good word for those strange birds. They were all over the place in the Yucatan. And now they're here.

3 comments:

Joyce Hanson said...

Hi, Amarilla. I don't know nuthin' about grackles. But last time I was in Mexico, I learned a thing or two about lizards/chameleons. We had one in our palapas room, but we never saw it, only heard it at night. In the morning, we saw that it had made a meal of our whole-grain galetas and bananas. The pig. It nibbled both bananas--didn't leave one fresh for us.

Hey, I'm still thinking about your ghost stories. And about your Aunt Dodo. Weird. I have a ghost story on my blog, about my deceased Aunt Gogo, and her visit to me one night. Check it out: http://mybadgirlblog.blogspot.com/search?q=aunt+gogo

Old First said...

The one in the picture looks like it has a "boat tail." If so, it's a grackle.

I love the St. Patrick piece.

amarilla said...

Old First, I love the fact that you blogged about these birds who've been on my mind so much. I wonder if these you've seen in the Park are some of the same ones I vacationed with in the Yucatan.