Monday, March 17, 2008

Dragonette and Dragonetti

























Why does that happen, that you never hear of a word or name before in your life and then all the sudden you start to see it all over. Recently the earmarked word was scrum. Someone wrote an article for the New York Times about a group of men from Bay Ridge who've been getting together annually for decades and in it the writer used the word scrum twice. He really liked that word I think. Then I was reading A Brooklyn Bachelor (a good source of especially savory verbage - oh, I bet he hates that word verbage though. At least I didn't write verbiage) and Thew described a group of starlings as a scrum. So naturally it was time to look that word up and as I recall it was sports related, which I found disappointing. What I'm wondering now is if that scrum is the same scrum as the scrum in scrumptious.

And I'm wondering what dragon it is that's in Dragonetti and Dragonette, a word or family name I've come across in my guided and misguided wanderings lately. The wanderings led me to Studio Dragonette, the framers on Argyle, (adorable shop,) and past a truck owned by the Dragonetti Brothers, landscapers based on Utica Avenue. The word dragonette means little dragon, I guess, I wonder if these people got their name from a small ancestor with a big attitude.

I wonder about these Brooklyn Dragonettis, who bear such a dramatic and intriguing name. What a name it is. It is messing with my sense of reality.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

FOund this article via Google alerts.. My last name is Dragonetti. I ttoo means little Dragon in italian. My grandfather's family is from the area around Conca Casale near Monte Cassino in Italy. Hope others post here as well.
-Tom Dragonetti; San Diego, Ca.

amarilla said...

Thanks for speaking up, Tom. It's always a pleasure to find out you are right. Enjoy San Diego.

Anonymous said...

I found this article by seaching our last name in google. By the way my name is James Dragonette really Dragonetti. I live in Gilbert, Arizona.

Anonymous said...

Hi

I am Paul Dragonetti from Ireland. Dragonetti comes from Southern Italy, actually around the L'Aquila area of Abruzzo. My own Grandfather came from Villa Latina in the area near Cassino not far from Naples where the Dragonetti family have been at least since the 1600's.

There was a Marchese Dragonetti who had a castle near L'Aquila and there is a Palazzo Dragonetti in L'Aquila from the 1500's.

It's funny about the name as my uncle also mispelled the name with an 'e' on the end and there is now a street in Liverpool named after him but with the 'e'.

Anyway any Dragonetti out there can look at Dragonetti-Family.com for more info :)

Anonymous said...

James Dragonette is my nephew in Gilbert, AZ. The bulk of our family is from the Cleveland, Ohio area. I live in Los Angeles and have a cousin Patrick here as well.

Tish Dragonette Hargens

aliendon73 said...

My name is Stefan Tragonette, from what I have researched my family name was originally Dragonetti, my great grandfather Luigi Dragonetti, has his surname mispelt on his marriage certificate by the registrar. That's how the name Tragonette was born. Kind regards.
Stefan (London UK).

Unknown said...

Hello I am Anthony Dragonetti owner and partner in the Dragonetti Brothers Landscaping that’struck In this article is being driven by yours trullly that Wes’s in the 80s or early 90s