Saturday, April 19, 2008

Friday Night Revelers













I saw more teens on the streets of Windsor Terrace than I've seen all year up to this point. Walking home along 10th Avenue after coming from Manhattan I saw one group huddled on a stoop talking about sports, shortly after a triad, a bit younger, fitting comfortably on the limestone steps. Across from them someone was having a party in the top floor of the house on the corner of Sherman and 10th. What sounded like live saxophone flooded the street through the open windows, and in the front window I saw a man's hand sliding up and down the frets of his stand up bass.

I can't remember the last time I saw so much life happening in the neighborhood. Well, I guess that was Halloween. But Halloween has its intense aggenda and regimentation. On a night like last night it seemed that, although no one was in costume, there was more to discover.

No comments: