Thursday, April 17, 2008

Madonna in Alcove























In many parts of Brooklyn you see the Virgin Mary within these little houses. I suppose there's better names for them.... grotto, tabernacle, temple, shrine, chasse, monstrance, reliquary...It's a little like the mandorla made 3 dimensional and architectural.

This 18th St. Windsor Terrace Madonna is a good example, and she nods to the 5 Bed Stuy Marys posted by Bed Stuy Banana this week, in all there colors, situations and predispositions.

How many Marys in Brooklyn? I'd love it if someone would take a census of all the Madonnas we have here, or.... start a Mary blog. I know I'm not the only one that almost unconsciously freezes on the sight of her and reaches for the camera. Click click!

4 comments:

Lisanne said...

Well I'll do the census in Carroll Gardens. Is there going to be a seperate St. Francis blog?

Richard Power said...

Thank you for this image of the Madonna, and all it communicates. Growing up Irish-Catholic in the Bronx, She was the only intimation of the Divine Feminine that broke through the patriarchal concrete to shed a ray of warm light. In my travels of the world, I have been fortunate to visit the Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima, which is indeed a powerful place, and living now in California, I feel the power of Our Lady of Guadalupe. As a student of the Buddha Dharma, of course, I have also run into her as Tara and Kwan-Yin. Whatever name She goes by, whatever tradition She speaks through, She is always radiating great, unconditional love and healing for all beings.
I have also been enjoying the other images of Brooklyn. I lived there twice in the 1970s, first in East New York and later in Park Slope. But the borough has undergone many revitalizing changes since then ...
Thank you too, for linking to my site.
Keep in touch, and all the best,
Richard Power
http://words-of-power.blogspot.com

Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

I found a nice one at 415 Caton Avenue in Kensington.

amarilla said...

Why not? It would be an instrument of God's peace, wouldn't it?

Richard Power.. You really summed it up. Thanks for visiting and adding the words Fatima, Tara and Kwan-Yin to this blog.

Hi Xris, I took a picture of that Mary too (but yours in soooo much nicer), the other day when we went to visit that new animal shelter in Kensington. We were walking a little dog named Snowy around the block. I hoped she's been adopted by now.

Funny how those Mary colors are the same as the patriotic ones, and they are also very important in Buddhism, symbolising the mind, speech and body of Buddha.