Monday, April 7, 2008

Lessons of the Little Red Hen














It was strange to turn the corner onto Windsor Place on Sunday and see the Little Red Hen lying there on the ground, turned to the last page, where the dog, cat and mouse get there just desserts. It was like the neighborhood itself was reading to me.

What a pain in the a** those lazy characters are, doing nothing and wanting everything. Is there a message for me in this? Perhaps that sometimes you have to step out of the way and let justice happen, even if it breaks your heart. I was talking to my friend, a mother of 4 teenagers. Over the weekend they needed some milk, and she asked one after another of her children to go get it. She asked her 16 year old daughter, who couldn't go because she didn't want to be seen in the pants she was wearing and her others were in the dryer. She asked her 15 year old son, he was too tired, told her he'd go the next day. But he didn't. So there was no milk, because no one wanted to get it.

That hen, she knows where to draw the line.

Or perhaps the story suggests that it's good I've gotten off my butt and gotten to work. But what will my just desserts be? I've agreed to do a photo shoot for a very experienced interior designer who doesn't have much in the way of a budget presently, so he's hired me, whom he knows has little experience shooting interiors. I actually wanted to back out of this job, once I found out this interior designer founded and edited a major shelter magazine for 18 years. I'm really not comfortable, but I'm learning more than I would have otherwise, all the while making an a** of myself. In all honesty, this man has born it with amazing graciousness.

By the end of the week I should know if I'll be eating cake or humble pie.

2 comments:

Lloyd said...

Dear Amy- I ran into your inlaws, and they mentioned your blog- They were right; it's truly interesting. I am glad I stopped by.

Cheers & hellos to you & yours,

Lloyd (Wolf)

If ya got a bit of time on yer hands, kindly take a look at my website & blogs...
http://www.lloydwolf.com
http://lloydwolfphoto.blogspot.com
http://dcshrines.blogspot.com

oh- and by the way- my daughter Emma is about to graduate MICA with a degree ein illustration... fine young woman, good school. I am happy for her, and proud of what she is doing (she just landed an illustration contract for a children's science mystery book with National Geographic)

again- cheers & happy spring
Ø
Lloyd

amarilla said...

Hi Lloyd, thanks for dropping in. I'm eager to look at your blogs and so happy to hear about your daughter.