Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Spirea Bush Witnesses










I just finished writing an email to someone about how I love visitors and all the sudden there was a knock on the door. It was 3 Jehovah's Witnesses, magazines in hand, a woman on my stoop, a man a few feet behind her at the bottom of the stairs, and a woman all the way back by the edge of the fence, standing near my Spirea.

Right away the woman, all smiles, said "Hello!" then "Don't you think there's one true religion?" Poor thing I don't think she knew what was going to hit her. "Of course there's no one true religion, how could there be!? God speaks many languages, he's not an idiot. Tell me where I can't find God if I know how to look!"

I guess I've been waiting for someone to ask me that question for quite a while. If there is a God, s/he'd be able to speak to people in a way they understood, like a good parent who speaks to his 3 year old differently than his 8 year old. S/he'd be the biggest polyglot you could ever come across.

I took the magazines anyway out of curiousity and sent the witnesses off, but not before they told me that the woman standing all the way back by the fence near the bush wanted to know what kind of plant it was. Apparently she really liked it. I told her it was Spirea, although I think I could be wrong. Then I told them that the word comes from the same root as the word inspire, although I don't really know that either.

It was kind of them to like my plant and the last thing I said to them before they left was "Thank you for loving my bush," which I immediately wished I hadn't said. Technically, the plant is a shrub, anyway.

2 comments:

Lo said...

I love what you say about God, and I totally agree.

Anonymous said...

For your PERUSAL--

SUMMARIES OF 1000 JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES MEDICAL LAWSUITS & OTHER COURT CASES

The following website summarizes over 500 Jehovah's Witnesses Employment related lawsuits, etc., including DOZENS of court cases in which JW Employees refused blood transfusions, and/or other cases involving Worker's Comp, medical, health, and disability issues:

EMPLOYMENT ISSUES UNIQUE TO JEHOVAH'S WITNESS EMPLOYEES

http://jwemployees.bravehost.com

The following website summarizes over 500 U.S. court cases and lawsuits affecting children of Jehovah's Witness Parents, including 370 cases where the JW Parents refused to consent to life-saving blood transfusions for their dying children:

DIVORCE, BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS, AND OTHER LEGAL ISSUES AFFECTING CHILDREN OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

http://jwdivorces.bravehost.com