Monday, July 21, 2008

Housekeeping in Beach Haven





On Sunday haze blanketed the Atlantic on our section of Long Beach Island and created this strange halo effect over the ocean. It was almost a rainbow. What atmosphere, like finding oneself in a Guy Maddin movie, or on a ghost beach, as my daughter called it. I wonder if it had anything to do with the heat of the air and the nerve splintering cold of the water.

I didn't want the weekend to end. Here's some elements to help me suspend time a bit with help from my camera, which I didn't drop it in the water this time.

There was an odd quick karma event on Saturday when I got up, at some point my husband brought me a cup of coffee with no milk or sugar. I made a farce of complaining, but anyway there was no sugar because I hadn't brought any. I guzzled it down black, then went off to get beach passes at the office. I went in to find no one there, and all I could hear was someone taking a shower. I kept saying "hello? hello?" It was eerie. Finally a woman came in and I told her I was sorry if I had pulled her away from something. She said it was fine, she just hadn't had time to put her milk and sugar in her coffee.

I hope all of us who like coffee light and sweet get our milk and sugar. And if not, then at least some sand and salt water.

No comments: