Monday, November 19, 2007

A Fine Can of Yams























Who's yams? Bruce's yams, ok? Damn, what a lovely can of yams. If you told me the label was designed by whoever does the Barneys ads in the NYT, I'd believe you. Damn.

Key Food must have sold several hundred of these yams over the last week, I've seen the stack sold down and replenished several times since early last week when I fell in love with this can at first sight. These yams that came to Brooklyn by way of New Iberia, Lousiana are billed as being good for the heart, and I can tell you that the health of mine has improved even though I haven't even opened the can yet.

How often do you see such a butch name treated with script, but not just any script. That script is as syrupy and chunky as the yams. I love the way the yams radiate the heat of some premium briquettes. I'm also a fan of the uneven kerning between the letters in YAMS, I'm so tired of perfect kerning. I give thanks for the drama of the Y that seems to be walking away from the A and the M, feeling like a third wheel. And the S just doesn't seem to have a clue.

So, who is this Bruce?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, okay, you're killing me. The commentary on the kerning is totally cracking me up. Am I mentally ill? Who else finds amusing banter about kerning funny?

That "Y" is OUTA THERE!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I love it too, only it didn't crack me up, it made me wistful and dreamy. Who's mentally iller than whom?