Monday, March 3, 2008

Delicatessen Interior












I appreciate knowing that this was once called Henry's, as a reader informed me. I'm not sure if it's called anything besides Delicatessen now. I should have asked when I went in today, but I got distracted by the hand made collages I saw around the store. This is truly a mom and pop operation, the current owners have run it for about 20 years but the man told me it was opened 1955. He said it used to be located next door but was moved to the corner space after a fire.

The collages were done by the owners' daughter when she was young. She is now 24 and employed by Macy's. I asked if she was a graphic designer for Macy's but she isn't. She works in Organization, I was told.

One of the things that interests me about this place is how low the counter is. I'm so used to having to stretch my underused calf muscles in order to get anyone's attention at most delis. But not here. I wonder why? Maybe it's how deep the space is, the shelves don't have to hold as much so they can let it all ride low like someone's souped up cadillac.

2 comments:

JCN said...

The glass-encased counter in that place is epic length.

amarilla said...

Well said!